I want you to know that we are fighting for fake news says Donald Trump
The White House has excluded several major US news organisations, including some it has openly criticised, from an off-camera briefing held by White House press secretary Sean Spicer, representatives of the organisations say.Reporters for CNN, The New York Times, Politico, The Los Angeles Times and BuzzFeed were blocked from the session on Friday.
Spicer’s off-camera briefing, or “gaggle,” replaced the usual televised daily news briefing on Friday in the White House briefing room. He did not say why those particular news organisations were excluded, a decision which drew strong protests.
Reuters was included in the session, along with about 10 other news organisations, including Bloomberg and CBS.
Spicer said his team opted to have a gaggle in his office instead of a full briefing in the larger White House briefing room.
“Our job is to make sure that we’re responsive to folks in media. We want to make sure we answer your questions, but we don’t need to do everything on camera every day,” he said.
Associated Press and Time magazine reporters walked out of the briefing when hearing that others had been barred.
Off-camera gaggles are not unusual.
The White House often invites handpicked outlets in for briefings, typically for specific topics. But briefings and gaggles in the White House are usually open to all outlets and they are free to ask anything.
A pool reporter from Hearst Newspapers was included in Friday’s gaggle, White House spokeswoman Stephanie Grisham said, and was preparing a pool report for distribution to the entire press corps. Media outlets allowed into the gaggle also shared their audio with others.
President Donald Trump has regularly attacked the media. Earlier on Friday, at a gathering of conservative activists, he heaped criticism on news organisations that he said provide “fake news” and called them an “enemy” of the American people.
Spicer’s decision drew a sharp response from some of the media outlets that were excluded.
“Nothing like this has ever happened at the White House in our long history of covering multiple administrations of different parties,” Dean Baquet, executive editor of The New York Times, said in a statement.
“We strongly protest the exclusion of The New York Times and the other news organisations. Free media access to a transparent government is obviously of crucial national interest.”
The White House Correspondents Association also protested.
“The WHCA board is protesting strongly against how today’s gaggle is being handled by the White House,” said Jeff Mason, president of the association and a Reuters reporter.